glór is pleased to announce the third stage of its Artist to Artist Mentoring scheme which supports Clare-based artists by pairing them with an artist they admire, with the aim to develop and strengthen their craft.
Open to visual and performance artists alike, we plan to support up to 8 pairings by facilitating a series of 3-4 mentoring sessions across 3 months. After setting some initial goals, we suggest each mentoring session would last up to 2 hours, creating a constructive exchange that may focus on particular skills, techniques or challenges. Mentors do not need to be based in Clare, provided mentoring sessions are feasible online or by phone if not in person. All participants will be paid for their time (more details below). There will be the option to access professional coaching where the artist expresses particular interest in this support alongside the mentoring.
“To have an artist who has reached such success in the industry as a sounding board was invaluable.”
Anne Quinn, painter (2021)
Following the sessions, mentees will be asked to consider the value of the scheme and provide feedback on their experience through a short survey and recording.
If an artist is keen to partake in the programme but would like some assistance in identifying a mentor, glór would be happy to help with suggesting some potential options.
“I’m so grateful to have had the opportunity to learn from Mark O’Halloran and to have someone who has reached such success in the industry as a creative sounding board.” Nell Hensey, screenwriter (2020)
- If you would like advice on potential mentors to approach, please email us at email@example.com as soon as possible with details of your artform/interests, and we can arrange a conversation.
- To apply, please complete and submit the Google doc form online by 2pm on Monday 25th April.
- Applications will be assessed and reviewed by members of the glór team, based on the demonstrated need and value for the artist applying, and the initiative aims to support artists in a range of genres.
- Both mentor and mentee will be paid €150 each per session, with the potential for up to 4 sessions – and payments will be made on receipt of invoices following each session or at the end of the programme, depending on the preference of each artist.
- Please note that all sessions need to be completed by 31st August 2022.
- glór will acknowledge all applications on receipt, and will notify all applicants and those selected by Friday 6th Please note individual feedback cannot unfortunately be provided if unsuccessful.
- Please note that this programme is open to professional artists and not to those currently in education.
Supported by Creative Ireland and The Arts Council
Mick [Flannery] was a really great support and teacher, and provided a great balance between the technical aspects and also the creative mindset.” John Lillis, musician (2020)